Every hair dryer in America is tagged with a large caution label to not put it to use near liquid for example apparent explanation: mixing the 2 could cause electrocution and even death. But did you know it is really not in fact water that displays the danger?
Water with its purest form isn't conductive. Instead, it is the impurities inside water—salts, dust, so on—that makes it possible for it to perform electricity.
Actually, reduced conductivity water (LCW)—which is purified and deionized—has already been utilized for decades to cool off high-voltage equipment eg magnets and klystrons.
LCW frequently flows through accelerator magnets to sweet them. These rectangular, copper or aluminum wires compare well to two ins per side and are usually coiled in various arrangements to produce magnetic fields of various forms and talents. A hole in these copper cables carries LCW to eliminate heat generated because of the electric currents.
"SLAC tends to make countless warm water, " said SLAC electric engineer Martin Berndt, who's designed magnets and power products which use LCW at SLAC for over 30 years. "It is a good way of removing temperature from high-power electric products."
The PEP band, the SSRL band and differing beam transportation outlines contain many magnets that use LCW. Unlike tresses dryers, the nervous about mixing water and electricity when you look at the magnets just isn't electrocution, but corrosion. Decreasing the water's conductivity successfully reduces this corrosiveness.
Without LCW, the magnets would gradually be eaten out of the inside-out and engineers would have to discover another way to dissipate around 30 megawatts—16, 000 locks dryers worth—of power each and every day.