The building of the hydro power-plant Boguchanskaya began in 1980 and resumed in 2006. The plant is located in the lake Angara nearby the town Kodinsk. It really is completed because of the companies “RusHydro” and “Rusal”. In-may 2006 they signed an understanding on the combined improvement the Boguchanskoye Energy and Metals involved (BEMO). The BEMO task supplied: conclusion associated with hydroelectric plant and building a nearby aluminum smelter, which will off-take quite a bit of electrical energy produced by the ability plant. The in the offing design ability is 3, 000 MW. The Russian government things towards importance of conclusion for the hydroelectric power station for improvement the Siberian financial region according to the "involved development of the Lower Angara Territories” method.An enormous protest action ended up being established in a reaction to the resumption of construction works associated with the power-plant.
Ecologists anxiety that no Environmental Impact Assessment research (OVOSin Russian) had been done. Listed here ecological and personal damage is expected to take place:
- flooding of just one, 494 km2 of land, including 296 km2 of farming land (arable land, hayfields and pastures) and 1, 131 km2 of woodland;
- complete demageof regional ecosystems;
- risky of effect on Lake Baikal;
- 29 settlements in flood area: the sum total range populace resettlement when you look at the project is projected at 12, 173 people (first resettlements in 1980s, second trend of resettlements in 2007).
There are several cattle burials in this region. The cattle were died of anthrax into the xx century. Citizen regarding the location are afraid that following the flooding anthrax spores could possibly get into the water then in to the lake.
The organization "RusHydro" replied that EIA and community hearings are not necessary, since all scientific studies were performed within the 80s in preparation when it comes to building. Environmentalists point to the alteration into the project plan without extra study and EIA, infraction of ecological regulations and genuine threat into the life and health of people, nature, and considerable injury to the actual only real river flowing off Lake Baikal and carrying its seas into Arctic.
The protest moves "Dam" and WWF Russia took the key part when you look at the protests up against the construction works. These activities had been done:
- WWF Russia appealed to Vnesheconombank (possible trader in project) to not finance the project minus the EIA study;
- Demonstrations of region citizens up against the project;
- suit to SC "Boguchanskaya HPP";
- A lot of internet magazines in the web-site plotina.net: site against huge hydro power flowers in Siberia;
- Nine families of the village of Kezhma refused becoming relocated.
In December 2010, being finance the task Vnesheconombank granted that loan of 28.1 billion rubles (about 0.9 billion US dollars) for a period of 16 years.
The suit against SC "Boguchanskaya HPP" ended up being refused because of the courtroom in-may 2012, the attraction ended up being declined in the 3rd of September 2012. Afterwards the protest motion has actually ended. In October 2012 initial units had been put into procedure. The final launch is scheduled for 2014.